What do you get when you combine 6 superheroes, Samuel L. Jackson with an eye patch, a whole mess of explosions, and the culmination of almost 4 years of interrelated movies? It’s either the weirdest party you’ve ever been to, or its The Avengers. Those of you who might be out of the loop, let me get you up to speed: The Avengers is an upcoming movie featuring just about every Marvel superhero that matters, all working on the same team. And even though it’s over half a year away, I’m already giddy.
A new trailer for the movie was recently released, and needless to say I loved it. Here are 7 reasons why you should too:
- Loki. Yeah, the evil half brother from the Thor movie. Except this time he’s made it into our world and is ready to act a serious fool. I always loved the villains who conquered with their mind instead of their brawn, and this trailer makes Loki look like some kind of evil Einstein.
- Explosions, explosions, explosions. I’m not sure how many explosions are actually featured in the new trailer, but that’s only because I never learned to count that high. I was never good at math anyway. What I do know is that this movie will not be light on the action. Also, I’m pretty sure this isn’t a movie my Grandmother would enjoy.
- Hawkeye and Black Widow. Both members of the Avenger team, but neither got their own movie. Black Widow had a big enough part in Iron Man 2, and Hawkeye was shown briefly in Thor. I’m ready to see both of them play a larger role.
- Ironman being Ironman. My favorite aspect of Robert Downey Jr’s take on the Ironman character is his narcissism. In a lot of ways Tony Stark(Ironman) is an anti-hero. It would be a shame to see that get lost in a movie as big as The Avengers, so it’s a good thing the trailer showed Ironman has kept to his classic ways.
- Captain America vs. Ironman. The trailer hints at these two butting heads, which I think is perfect. Captain America is selfless, humble, and kind. Ironman isn’t. Those two personalities WOULD clash if forced to work together, and I’m sure they will have some great banter in the movie.
- “If we can’t protect the earth, you can be damned sure we’ll avenge it”. Maybe the best super hero movie tag line ever. Enough said.
- Dr. Bruce Banner / The Hulk. There’s a lot to like about an enormous green rage monster. I will admit that at first seeing a new actor fill this role was a little off-setting. But I’d rather see a new actor than lose the character all together. Besides, it’s the rage monster everyone wants to see. Not the skinny scientist.
The Avengers doesn’t hit theatres until May 2012, but in the meantime check back here to see other entertainment reviews. Check out the ‘About’ page to see what we’re all about!